This match report is brought to you by the club manager Jordan K.


Goals from Owen N (2), James H and Tom C

The Lions mounted a stirring fightback from 4-1 down to earn a crucial GFSN League point and maintain an undefeated start to the season.

After starting the match strongly the Lions found themselves on top 15 minutes into first-half after James H wiggled past the defender to fire in a low strike.

East End Phoenix then took a grip on the game and overturned the score to go into half-time with a 2-1 lead.

The Londoners stayed in calm control and looked on course for victory after they ruthlessly punished two mistakes, giving them a three-goal lead 10 minutes after the break.

But in a thrilling closing 30 minutes, the Lions completed a remarkable recovery.

Gabi Gabi made an immediate impact after his substitution and his well weighted through-ball set Owen N on his way to peg a goal back.

The Lions had found their roar. Passion and determination flowed through the team and East End struggled to contain the pace and ferocity as the game turned on its head.

The home team launched a number of free flowing attacks and Owen N continued to cause problems. It was his crucial flick-on that helped the ball to the back-post where Tom C forced it over the line at the back-post.

Moments later Tom C returned the favour by whipping in a deadly ball from the right wing for Owen N to calmly beat the goalkeeper from inside the 18-yard box.

This set up a frantic finale.

With the hosts pushing for a winner, and backed on by buoyant spectators, the smart money would have been on the Lions to complete the turnaround.

In the end, The Lions had to settle for a share of the points – something they would have readily accepted after 55 minutes but taken with a slight bit of disappointment at the end.

It was an entertaining match in which both teams deserved some reward.

Man of the Match – Gabi Gabi

Categories: Uncategorised

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *