After 6 times of trying, the Lions come away with a victory in the GFSN national league against London Titans to move them off the bottom of the table whilst enjoying the warm Nottingham weather!

The Lions looked to seize control of the game early on, helped by Sean M who’s shot unfortunately hit the crossbar and another saved. London Titans always come prepared for a fight, and steadily grew into the game thanks to their well drilled passing strategy. Again the Lions saw another chance at goal, with a well placed cross from Jeff J finding Andrew T’s head, again without coming away with a goal.

This positive start gave the Lions a boost, unfortunately the Titans found the back of the Lions’ net at 34 minutes. The Lions saw the half out, with the opposition leading by 1-0. With an encouraging half time team talk, and a formation change from a 4-5-1 to a 3-5-2, the Lions looked to restart their game and look to pile even more pressure on the opposition’s defenders within the second half.

The second half brought new chances for the Lions, one which Matt H exquisitely took. A twenty yard free kick found the net past the Titan’s keepers. I’m sure there was a proud John S watching from the sidelines. The Lions kept piling on the pressure, causing havoc in the Titan’s area and coming away with a penalty. Captain Andrew T, donning the rainbow captains arm band, stepped up and calmly pushed the ball into the corner. Well placed and deserved after 58 minutes of well drilled football. The Lions now led the game by 2-1, with an experienced back three commanding the pitch and the rest of the team playing with confidence.

After taking the first half, Titans appeared to be a little shell-shocked, with the impressive comeback taking them by surprise and on 74 minutes, the Lions would move even further ahead. Andrew T instinctively fired in a looping shot from twenty yards out, as John S describes in his match report “a real belter!” This would be Andrew T’s 12th goal for the club, a proud moment for a committed player.

The Lions looked to sit comfortably at 3-1, the crowd beginning to accept a Lion’s victory, but the opposition had other ideas. Thanks to two long, well placed throw ins causing panic within the Lions’ back line, the Titans found the back of the net not once but twice. With the score sitting at 3-3, both teams looked to grab hold of the dying few minutes. Luckily, it would be the Lions to keep their composure. Asher D was neatly played through down the left, cutting inside and slotting the ball in from 12 yards out. This saw the Lions finish 4-3, finding form to win their first game since October!

A match won thanks to both the determination of the players and a strategic change by the manager/ captain partnership. The players deserved a victory after weeks of hard training and just as the warm weather came, they were able to enjoy the afternoon’s celebrations in a beer garden!


Big thank you to everyone who braved the fog for yesterday night’s training session, taken by Lion’s own Jordan K. A well thought out session focusing on areas of development from Saturday’s game.

Adam W capturing a haunting snippet of last night’s training session!

Thank you to the continued support of our sponsor Unite the Union and our Friends of the Club for helping to support our community club!

Categories: Uncategorised

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *